Saturday, September 11, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake

"When someone asks if you'd like cake or pie, why not say you want cake and pie?"
- Lisa Loeb

{via Kate Spade}

The Cake.

If there is one thing Mr. Ostrich and I have in common, it's our love of no-tier, un-fancy cakes. And the sheer delight of fun flavored cupcakes.

So when it came to deciding what we wanted as THE cake, We knew exactly what we wanted.

One small retro shag tropical cake, topped with a fresh brilliant colored dahlia {like the 2nd photo below}.

{Martha Stewart via here}


And for our our favorite family and friends? An eclectic spread celebrating the sinful cupcakes Mr. O and I are always craving and occasionally indulging.

{choco coco via sibby's}

{horchata via mission minis}

{choco w. berry buttercream via miette}

{fleur de sel via foodbuzz}

{rose + ginger via martha stewart}

And then we'll sprinkle the treats, a few blooms, tealights and some sparkly confetti across a linen covered table like this.

And voilĂ ! The classic wedding cake, deconstructed and redefined.

Now it's your turn, fellow bees! What are the sinful sweets you'd love to have at your wedding or any other celebration?

Here's to changing the rules...and making life a little sweeter.

xo,
Miss. O

2 comments:

  1. I don't really like tiered cakes either- too fussy. I love the dahlia cake, such a chic alternative. I love getting cupcakes at a wedding! Rose + ginger sounds a great combination though I'd start with the fleur de sel. (And then go back for the rose, hah)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, Miette cupcakes are some of my favorites! And whenever I'm in the neighborhood of Kara's, I go for a chocolate fleur de sel cupcake!

    I love the look of a dahlia-topped small cake, too!

    ReplyDelete