Monday, September 20, 2010

More than Words

"Let me live, love and say it well in good sentences. "
- Sylvia Plath

{Via appleday}


With our little beach wedding seven months away, I've decided to begin the inspiration search for my vows.

Having a writer for a fiance makes the vow writing process an intimidating adventure. Over our ten year love story, Mr. Ostrich has made my heart skip a beat with just a few words {and silly drawings} in birthday, valentine and holiday cards. He's truly a master of the english language and I can only imagine that his vows won't leave a dry eye in the house. And while I don't boast a fancy english degree and may not write words that bring the house down, all I want is my promise to be something that he'll always remember.

No sweat, right?  ;)

So like every creative project I take on, I started out my vow making with some soul searching and some inspiration hunting. I was looking for prose that made my heart sing and could give me a starting point.

And after all of that, I've narrowed it down to these four that take my breath away every time...
* * *

{Via Max Wanger}

By the Seaside

"As we stand beside the ocean tide,
May our love always be as constant and unchanging
As these never-ending waves that pour beneath our feet,
Flowing endlessly from the depths of the sea;
Your love came softly upon my heart,
Just as the foam comes softly upon the sand,
And just as there will never be a morning
Without the ocean's flow,
So there will never be a day
Without my love for you.
I pledge myself to you this day.
Our love will be as unchanging
And dependable as the tide;
As these waters nourish the earth
And sustain life, may my constant devotion
Nourish and sustain you
Until the end of time." 

* * *

{source}

Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens. 
A good marriage must be created. 
In the art of marriage: the little things are the big things. 
It is never being too old to hold hands. 
It is remembering to say 'I love you' at least once a day. 
It is never going to sleep angry. 
It is at no time taking the other for granted; the courtship should not end with the honeymoon, it should continue through all the years. 
It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives. 
It is standing together facing the world. 
It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family. 
It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy. 
It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways. 
It is not expecting the husband to wear a halo or the wife to have wings of an angel. 
It is not looking for perfection in each other. It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humor. 
It is having the capacity to forgive and forget. It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow. 
Iis finding room for the things of the spirit. It is a common search for the good and the beautiful. 
It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal, dependence is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal. 
It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

- Paul Newman & Joanne Woodward

* * *

{source}

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more,
that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds,
and that's what you've given me.
That's what I hope to give to you forever."

- The Notebook

* * *

{our labor of love via here}

"I could promise to hold you, and to cherish you. I could promise to be there in sickness and in health. I could say to death do us part. 
but I won’t… 
Those vows are for optimistic couples. The ones full of hope. 
and I do not stand here on my wedding day optimistic or full of hope.
  I am not optimistic, I am not hopeful -
  I am sure, I am steady. 
And I know that I’m a heart man, I take them apart, put them back together. I hold them in my hands. I am a heart man. 
So this I am sure - You are my partner, my lover, my very best friend. 
My heart beats for you. 
And on this day, the day of our wedding I promise you this: I promise to lay my heart in the palm of your hands - 
I promise you me."

- Grey's Anatomy

* * *

For my hopelessly romantic bees, what are the vows, poems or quotes that strike a chord with you in the name of love? Would you rather write your own or celebrate through the perfect words of another?

And next up for this bride-to-bee? A little - make that a lot - of brainstorming, drafts and edits of my thoughts and words for this little promise of mine.

Here goes nothing!

xo,
Miss. O

3 comments:

  1. Oh! Quotes from Grey Anatomy always strike a chord among many other dialogues and poems! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tearing up at work! This was such a beautiful, romantic, heart-melting post, and I know that fancy English degree or not, you're going to bring the house down, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like:
    "Be there at the finish line."

    My absolute favorite is:
    "Where have I known you before
    Where have we played amongst galaxies bright
    Laughing and dancing, creating each night
    Deciding the course, then to venture on out
    Love, you, space and I
    Free from fear, free from doubt
    Where have I known you before

    Where have I loved you before
    Was it just yesterday or a millenia ago
    I kissed, touched, held and needed you so
    Yet you, you're you, just you
    Still glowing and silvery bright
    Wondrous dancingly bright
    I knew you the moment you entered my room
    That infinite eternal light
    Where have I loved you before

    Where have I hurt you before
    Where did I hurt you so deep - so deep
    To hear you say you knew me not
    When you alone could take me there
    And free me from that tyrant's kep
    Defender of the vulcan worlds
    Where filled my mind with blackened sleep.

    Where did I lose you before
    Was it when you gave your life
    To save that pharoah king
    Or when our Golden Mothership too flight
    Far away from Saturn's Rings
    Was it when we made the past
    Then drifted it off into violet space
    So certain we would meet the other side
    But there wss no such place
    Where did I lose you before

    Where have I known you before
    The moment I saw you I knew
    I had found the singer of a thousand songs
    That haunted every dream
    The painter of the colors in my mind
    Reminding me of places we have been
    I'm seeing clearer now - the truth unfolds
    The past all drifts away
    You're back again my dearest friend
    You never went away

    ReplyDelete