Saturday, October 9, 2010

video killed the raidio star

"Our memories are the only paradise from which we can never be expelled."
-  Jean Paul Richter


Hi bees!

Today felt like the day to share what the Ostrich duo is dreaming up for our little beach wedding - video style!

As a loyal follower to the hive for some time now, I know that the cost of hiring a videographer is often steep and the end result may not be what you'd hoped. And, if you have a stellar photographer, why spend so much more for a video? 

And until this summer, that's what we thought. We have Max, why bother with anything else? He's amazing!

Then, Max & Margaux got married.

And we saw their video, crafted by their brilliant fellow Flashdance friend, Sharkpig.





Ridiculously fun, whimsical and full of nostalgia, this is, hands down, the most fantastic wedding video I've ever laid eyes on! And just like Mrs. Beetle, from that moment I was officially hell bent on creating my own Super 8mm wedding video.

But then I did my research.

And then I realized two things....

#1. Super 8mm videos, in most cases, are far more expensive than hiring a typical videographer. This is due to the fact that there are few places nowadays to process this vintage film. 

#2. Super 8mm is really expensive in Hawaii.

So I became really really sad, as our dreams of a cool vintage-esque wedding video were dashed.

{sad ostrich via here}

Then the most amazing thing happened!

One of the Hawaii based videographers, Love Sick Weddings, that I had emailed had responded. They informed me that their videos, which I had assumed were Super 8mm, were actually digitally shot and manipulated to look like Super 8mm in post production. And because of this, and the fact that they were local, their packages were in line with our budget! They were available on our wedding day and within days, we had them booked as our videographers. Hooray!

And then I did my happy dance!

So for my fellow Super 8mm loving bees, let me be the one to tell you that you don't need to splurge on Super 8mm {unless you find a killer deal!} to have the video of your dreams. I would just ask around to videographers if they use software that can transform your digital video into a vintage masterpiece. Show them examples of videos that you love {I sent them Max + Margaux's and they loooved it!} and ask for demo reels and examples of past work. And hopefully, like me, you'll have a little film of you and your sweetheart.  :)

Now it's your turn, lovely bees! To video or not to video? Let's discuss!


No comments:

Post a Comment